Welcome to a very special edition of The Standing 8 Count. Ok, not really. Actually, this is another slow news week.
So, seeing that there’ll be nothing worth talking about until next week when Alfredo Angulo makes Kermit Cintron weep like a little school girl, I thought I’d share another personal list with my dozens upon dozens of loyal Mad Bovines.
Last week, I wrote about what I hated about boxing. This week I’m feeling all warm and fuzzy inside, so I’ll flip in the opposite direction and talk about what I love about boxing.
* I love the way the Super Middleweight division is shaping up: Carl Froch, Mikkel Kessler, Librado Andrade, Lucian Bute, Andre Ward, Andre Dirrell, Allan Green, Jermain Taylor, Jean Pascal and in a short while Arthur Abraham and Kelly Pavlik. I sure hope greedy promoters and cable companies don’t ruin this.
* I love the blind optimism behind fans of Chris Arreola. Here’s a guy who is practically obese and has ever beaten anyone tougher than a tough night club bouncer, yet some people rate this blob as the best American Heavyweight. I know the big boys aren’t a deep bunch these days, but Arreola ain’t the best of an entire nation.
* I love the Tecate ring card girls in Tijuana. These are the only ring card girls in the world where I know that with some elementary Spanish and a few bucks in my pocket, I can bring these chicas back to the Hotel Paraiso with me.
* I love the way Floyd Mayweather Jr. riles up both haters and nut-huggers alike. Say what you will, but it feels good to see some real emotion injected into the sport.
* I love seeing fights in Las Vegas and I love the big fight atmosphere in Sin City. Vegas is Boxing and don’t let anyone tell you otherwise. If you don’t like all night Blackjack binges in dim casinos, surrounded by whores and bad, bad people after a big prize fight I seriously question your manhood. Boxing shouldn’t be a “bring the whole family” event like the Ice Capades.
* I love fighters who actually take the time to learn the art of professions prize fighting. These are the guys who know how to walk properly, they know how to cut off the ring, they know how to properly set up their punches, and they know a little something called “defense.”
* I love my old fight films.
* I love what Showtime has been doing with their matchmaking lately.
* I love Denise Tarver and Jin Mosley and the crazy night we’ve had in my imagination.
* I love the back and forth struggles of an evenly-matched bout.
* I love the intenet for allowing me to be able to see even more boxing than I could imagine.
* I love when an undeserving bum of a fighter like Margarito gets what’s coming to him and publicly flogged by the entire boxing world.
* I love to get hateful e-mails from Manny Pacquiao fans: P4P, Boxing’s goofiest goof balls.
* I love the idea of Rick Hatton fans having to get back on the plane for the long ride home knowing that they just came to see Hatton mugged once again.
* I love that if our other blog takes off, I’m gonna start getting paid! http://btbc-boxing.blogspot.com/
Alright, enough with the happy thoughts. Next week I’ll be back with my regular rage and whiskey- filled column.
Until next Sunday, keep your friends close and your bribe money closer.
So long, ladies.